In 2021, the ACT Government undertook a YourSay survey to hear from Gungahlin residents what upgrades they would like to see at Yerrabi Pond. The results of this survey have been used to determine and plan future upgrades.
The Yerrabi Pond YourSay survey received over 7,000 ideas and suggestions. Some of the key requests for upgrades included:
- More facilities such as shelters, bins and toilets
- Improved general maintenance (weeding and pond cleaning)
- Enhanced lighting to improve visibility
- More opportunities to sit, socialise and dine outdoors
You can find more information about these results by visiting the Yerrabi Pond YourSay website here.
These works are funded by a $300,000 allocation in the 2020-21 ACT Budget:
- New bins at several locations
- Placement of improved signage at various locations around the pond
- Water edge plantings to reduce stagnant water
- A new half climbing wall near the Gungahlin Skatepark
- Landscaping and maintenance for damaged seats, bollards and shrub beds
- Works to resolve drainage issues on pathways
- Supplementary works to support a new rotunda in cooperation with the Rotary Club
The ACT Government has allocated $600,000 in the 2021-22 ACT Budget to fund design work for larger projects such as:
- Feasibility and design works for improved parking at the pond
- Delivery of improved public toilet facilities
- Upgraded picnic facilities
- Better lighting around the pond
You can watch my speech where I called on the ACT Government to upgrade Yerrabi Pond below.